AusIMM’s Diversity and Inclusion Policy12 December 2018
Diversity and inclusion in mining
Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of our values and is central to our objective of being the peak body representing the 65,000 resources sector professionals in the Australasian region. AusIMM is committed to building a workforce that is representative of the communities in which we live and work.
AusIMM, as a membership body, considers that diversity and inclusion is a key expectation, informed by community standards, as well as organisational knowledge and expertise, and is to be applied in all areas of its endeavour and strongly promoted to all professionals engaged in the resources industry.
A diverse workforce
AusIMM acknowledges that an industry’s strength comes from embracing and recognising the skills and knowledge of a diverse workforce. AusIMM will do this by developing clear paths to leadership, providing career opportunities and creating an inclusive environment where all professionals can fulfil their potential.
AusIMM sees a clear rationale for workforce diversity. The industry has made sincere progress to improve diversity, but more can be done. In today’s environment, diversity is a minimum requirement when recruiting and retaining top talent for the sector. Recent global studies confirm there is a positive relationship between diversity and industry performance and that diversity in leadership roles matters most.
AusIMM recognises diversity as one of our most important workforce elements because diversity in the workforce enables AusIMM and those who engage with AusIMM to:
- Attract, retain and encourage resources employees from the widest possible spectrum of background and experience.
- Foster a culture that reflects AusIMM values of integrity and respect in a sector that is open to all;
- Foster innovation, creativity and inspire critical thinking from a diverse pool of talent;
- Establish a dynamic atmosphere that leads to increased performance and greater employee participation and workforce fulfillment; and
- Enrich communication between resources professionals and the community and industry they serve.